4 Visa Types: How Your Family Immigration Attorney Helps With Your Visas

A travel visa allows your family in or out of the country. Each type of visa has its requirements and rules. Such regulations are critical since you can't travel without the proper visa status. The following are types of visas and how your family immigration attorney will help.

1. Tourist Visas

Tourists visas apply for people traveling on vacation. They are the easiest travel visas to obtain and expire faster. Tourist visa requirements differ per country, so it's important to understand the regulations of where you're coming from, your citizenship status, and where you are going.

If you're coming to the U.S, you need to apply and get approval from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security unless you are currently from one of the 38 countries participating in the visa waiver program (VWP). Your family immigration attorney can help you determine if you will need a tourist visa and your eligibility.

2. Immigration and Nationalization Visas

These visas are much harder to acquire than tourist visas. They allow your family to reside permanently in a country. If you heard someone mention the term "green card," they were talking about these visas. There are multiple ways of getting immigration visas for your family:

  • Through family

  • Through employment

  • Through refugee/asylum status

  • Through the Diversity Lottery

Your family's immigration attorney will prove essential in this process. They will help you to:

  • Compile a valid application

  • Sort out the complicated legal proceedings

  • Sort out the involved documents

  • Handle your immigration emergency needs

3. Student Visas

You'll obtain these visas if any of your family members fly out for education. These visas apply to exchange students as well as those studying abroad. Also included in these visas are academics and education professionals. It's wise to reach out to your immigration attorney to ensure everything is in order.

4. Business and Work visas

Business and work visas are the strictest type of travel visas to obtain. Governments want their economic activities driven by citizens. Temporary work visas include H-1B visas, E-Visas, and NAFTA work visas.

To get a permanent visa U.S., you must have a green card. Such visas include:

  • EB-1 visa (priority workers)

  • EB-2 visa (advanced degree professionals)

  • EB-3 visa (skilled, unskilled, and professional workers)

You can't change employers without applying for a new visa. Consult your immigration attorney because the process can be long and tedious. You might also want to cater to some family members, especially children, and your family immigration lawyer will guide you.


Because the law can be so complex, it is wise to consider hiring a family immigration attorney. They will smoothen your visa application process and increase your chances of success.